Friday, July 18, 2008

Packing, mission statement, schedule

T minus 4 days. oh crap.

Tomorrow I am leaving to go to Kansas City to meet my lady Emily along with Erin, Bethany, Jan, Andrew, and Steven before we head off to Paris on Tuesday. Which means that before tomorrow at 11:55 am I have to have everything in my extreme hard-core traveler backpack PACKED and ready to go. As of right now I can't even pick the thing up(but I think that has to do with my muscles atrophying in the last couple months in my cubicle) and I still need to pack about 50 extra supplies! Tonight will be an epic night of stuffing and zipping(and probably crying as I have a feeling I won't be able to fit my gorgeous cashmere sweater). So wish me luck!

Since this is my first post on this blog I think it would good if I wrote out some sort of mission statement, so here goes:

This blog will not be updated all too often as hopefully I will be living a debaucherous, historically significant, and generally awesome time in Europe. As Thoreau writes, "Unfortunately, many things have been omitted which should have been recorded in our journal; for though we made it a rule to set down all our experiences therein, yet such a resolution is very hard to keep, for the important experience rarely allows us to remember such obligations, and so indifferent things get recorded, while that is frequently neglected. It is not easy to write in a journal what interests us at any time, because to write it is not what interests us." However, for the good of coming home and discussing my travels I will write in this blog. I would love to get some comments on my entries so I can hear from all of you as I'm sure all of you will be missed!

And just in case you're wondering, here is where I'm going:

Starting July 22, going back to CA August 16:
Paris
Madrid
Rome
Venice
Prague
Berlin
Amsterdam

then, after a brief period at home I leave again on August 29 for Rome until December 20.

More updates to come as i set off on trek abroad!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a great time! I look forward to following your adventures.
BP

Anonymous said...

I know you're going to have a great time by my side!

Cindy said...

Hi Ally,
Your itinerary sounds great. We'll be looking forward to your travel updates. Have fun!!

Love,
Aunt Cindy and Uncle Dean

Unknown said...

don't forget to update this thing... i'll be watching, waiting. love to you!

Anonymous said...

hey ally,

my dad forwarded me your blog address and i'll check up on the exciting things you're doing while i'm living my crazy work life back in the states. riiight... i'm sure i don't have to tell you this, but have an amazing time! europe is awesome. i'm now working in dc, so we should catch up when you're back from your adventures!

xoxo, jenna

Unknown said...

I am so excited to hear about your adventures. I can only hope that Samantha and Maia follow in your footsteps. Have a terrific time and we'll be watch and waiting for updates. Love you lots and lots.
Tami, Sam, Samantha and Maia

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear how your time in Madrid, Spain is going!!! I have never been to Spain, so I look forward to your updates. We love you!!! Ma xxxooo